IC RO International Grads
IMG Alternate Pathway - Radiation Oncology
|An international medical graduate (IMG) is defined as an individual trained in radiation oncology programs outside the U.S., its territories, or Canada.|
For International Medical Graduates previously fully trained in radiation oncology and seeking credit for international residency training in radiation oncology:
You must demonstrate the following to be considered as a candidate for certification by the American Board of Radiology:
- You have satisfied medical school training requirements.
- You have had a clinical year of non-radiation oncology training in general medicine, surgery, transitional internship, or its equivalent. One year of credit for clinical training may be received.
- You have completed at least three years of radiation oncology training in a residency program outside the U.S. or Canada.
- You have submitted a four-year plan which has been approved by the ABR and have completed four years of full-time, continuous faculty and/or fellowship experience in ONE ACGME- or RCPSC-approved program.
The Board can assess an international medical graduate's status relative to ABR policies and alternative pathways toward Board certification (see policy) only after receipt of the following documents:
- Detailed curriculum vitae with dates of all training
- Verification of medical school training
- Verification of foreign clinical year of training
- Verification of foreign radiation oncology residency training
- Verification of radiation oncology training appointment in an institution that has an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-approved or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)-approved radiation oncology residency training program
Verification of four consecutive years serving as a fellow and/or full-time faculty appointment in a single institution that has an ACGME- or RCPSC-approved radiation oncology residency training program
- Copy of Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate or Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) certificate
- Copies of United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Steps 1-3 Score Reports
The board accepts copies of diplomas or letters from training institutions as verification. If original documents are in a language other than English, English translation must accompany them.
All documentation should be mailed to:
American Board of Radiology
5441 East Williams Circle
Tucson, AZ 85711-7412
Or fax to:
Attn: IMG Alternate Pathway