Prerequisites and Registration
To be eligible to take the Certifying Exam, a candidate must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be current with all ABR fees and pay all annual fees before the date of the exam
- Hold an active state or provincial (Canadian) medical license
- Be board eligible
- Have an active application with the ABR
- Successfully complete his or her DR residency, or DR IMG or DO plan, as well as his or her clinical year of training (internship)
- Pass the Core Examination
- Meet the minimum waiting period after training
- For the standard DR certification pathway, a 12-month waiting period is required after residency before taking the exam.
- For IMGs in the Alternate Pathway or those with ABNM certification, there is no waiting period after training has been successfully completed.
Candidates will receive a reminder to create their practice profiles approximately four months before the exam.
Step 1: Practice Profile
To register for the Certifying Exam, candidates will first need to create their practice profile under the Cognitive Expertise section of myABR by clicking “Add Practice Profile.” If a candidate would like to change the clinical modules for his or her exam, he or she will be able to do so until registration closes by clicking the “View/Edit” button. After having created his or her practice profile, he or she will receive an email confirmation of the modules he or she has selected.
The due date for creating a candidate’s practice profile will be posted on our website. Please check the DR Exam Dates and Locations page for more details. Those who create their practice profile by the due date will move on to Step 2 of the registration process. Those who create their practice profile after the due date will need to contact the ABR for further assistance.
Step 2: CVENT Registration
Registration will not be complete until a candidate has selected his or her preferred exam location, date, and reporting time via CVENT. The candidate will receive an email from CVENT when registration opens, which is approximately three months prior to the exam date. Candidates must be sure to check their spam/promotions folders if they do not receive this email.
The registration deadline will be posted on our website.
Please Note: there is no late registration for this exam; please check the DR Exam Dates and Locations page for more details.