Prerequisites and Registration
To be eligible to take the Certifying Exam, a candidate must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be current with all ABR fees and pay all exam fees 60 days before the date of the exam
- Hold an active state or provincial (Canadian) medical license
- Be board eligible
- Have an active application with the ABR
- Successfully complete DR residency or DR IMG plan and clinical year of training requirements
- Pass the Qualifying (Core) Exam
- Meet the minimum waiting period after training
- For the standard DR certification pathway, a 12-month waiting period is required after residency before taking the exam.
- For IMGs in the Alternate Pathway or those with ABNM certification, there is no waiting period after training has been successfully completed.
The candidate will receive an email from the ABR when registration opens, which is approximately three months prior to the exam date. Registration will include selecting your practice profile. Candidates must be sure to check their spam/promotions folders if they do not receive this email.
Please Note: There is no late registration for this exam; please check the DR Calendar for more details.