Committee Member Travel and Reimbursement Policy
Last verified on January 9, 2023
It is the policy of the American Board of Radiology to reimburse invited committee members all necessary and reasonable expenses incurred while traveling on Board business following receipt of appropriate documentation.
The appropriate ABR expense form and required documentation (original receipts) must be submitted within 30 days of trip completion.
- Commercial Airfare
- Round-trip, non-refundable coach airfare, most direct route, booked within the time parameters specified in the invitation correspondence.
- Travelers may make their own reservations and submit receipts for reimbursement at the completion of their trip, or may use the ABR’s designated travel agency in order to have the cost billed directly to the ABR.
- When booking flights for ABR business, individuals should not purchase optional travel protection coverage.
- Charges incurred for changes made to the ticketed itinerary for personal reasons are the traveler’s responsibility.
- Changes to the travel itinerary for ABR business reasons (i.e., meeting date changes) must be adequately notated on the travel expense form.
- Upgrades are at the traveler’s
- If a flight must be cancelled, a notification to the travel agency or airline MUST be made before the flight in order to preserve the value of the ticket.
- If the flight was booked through the ABR’s travel agency, no further action is
- If the flight was booked by other means, the traveler should use the ticket for another ABR-related The traveler should make every effort to use the ticket within the one-year window allowed.
- If the ticket is used for personal travel, the traveler is required to reimburse the ABR for the price of the ticket.
- International Travel
- If you are traveling internationally on behalf of the ABR, you may upgrade to business class for any international flight longer than eight hours.
- Automobile, Train, Bus, or Private Plane
- The total reimbursable expense, including expenses incurred en route, shall not exceed the cost of commercial non-refundable coach airfare.
- Personal automobile expense shall be reimbursed at the current IRS mileage reimbursement rate, plus tolls and parking.
- Ground Transportation
- Shuttle, taxi, or personal automobile may be taken to and from the airport at the points of origin and destination.
- Car Rentals
- Car rentals are permissible and reimbursable when the total cost of the rental is less than the total cost of a taxi to and from your destination. In Tucson, the reimbursement level for a rental car, based on this principle, is $80.
- The ABR has a Business Corporate Discount agreement with Budget Rent-a-Car (BCD #U166749). Please compare the rate given under this program to other possibilities (other agencies) to obtain the best rate available at the time of your booking.
- When a car rental is necessary for ABR business, individual should not purchase optional Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) or Personal Effects Coverage (PEC).
- Flying nonstop to Phoenix and renting a car to drive to Tucson is
Lodging and Meal Expenses
- Hotel expenses for the nights of the meeting and, if necessary, the night before and/or after the meeting.
- Hotel expenses include room charges and
- When possible, hotel expenses are billed directly to an ABR master account. Please communicate your arrival and departure dates by the announced deadline to ensure it is possible to obtain a room in the negotiated room block.
- Upgrades to rooms above ABR’s contracted rate are reimbursed at the contracted
- When no official ABR meal is scheduled, reasonable food and beverage purchases are reimbursed to a daily maximum of $85 for dinner, including cocktails and proportionate share of wine ordered for the group, before tax and tip are added.
Miscellaneous Reimbursable Expenses
- Gratuities for meals, transportation, and hotel staff
- High-speed internet connection
- Extended stays
- Dry cleaning and/or laundry, except if continuous travel extends beyond seven days
- Recreational activities
- In-room minibar and movies
- Fitness center
- Accompanying family and friends
- Additional travel insurance
- When a committee member attends an ABR function, either in conjunction with another meeting (during the same trip) or as a representative of another organization as well as of the ABR, the expenses should be proportionately shared between the ABR and the other organization(s).
- When an ABR trip is combined with extended time for personal activity, additional room nights, meals, a proportionate share of car rental, and all personal expenses are the responsibility of the traveler.
Receipts and Expense Submission
- Original receipts are required for each expense over $25.
- Electronic images of original receipts are
- Travel expense forms can be submitted in the following ways:
- Fax: (520) 790-3200
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: 5441 Williams Circle, Tucson, Arizona 85711-7412
- Hand delivered to the Finance Department
This policy is subject to change and modifications at any time. Any adjustments must be approved by the Board of Governors.
For a downloadable pdf of this policy, click here.