Last verified on January 14, 2019
On this page
Initial Certification Requirements
- Possession of a valid, unrestricted, and unchallenged license to practice medicine
- Valid and current certification by the ABR in radiation oncology, general radiology, or diagnostic radiology
- Successful performance on the Hospice and Palliative Medicine Exam
- The written exam is administered through the ABIM, but results are communicated through the ABR and the certificate will be administered from the ABR. There is no oral exam component.
- Applications for the exam in the fall of 2020 will be available beginning March 1, 2020.
- Subspecialty-level training: completion of formal training requirements in an ACGME-approved Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program (see Fellowship Training). NOTE: You have 10 years from the completion of your fellowship to obtain subspecialty certification.
- Before submitting a subspecialty exam application, a diplomate must have paid any outstanding ABR fees in full.
Hospice and Palliative Care FellowshipThe training pathway for ABR candidates requires 12 months of satisfactorily completed hospice and palliative medicine fellowship training that meets the following criteria:
- Hospice and palliative medicine fellowship training undertaken July 1, 2010, and after must be accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). Hospice and palliative medicine fellowship training undertaken before July 1, 2010, must be conducted within a program affiliated with an ACGME-accredited residency or fellowship program.
- Training experience must be consistent with guidelines established by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or, until formal guidelines are developed by the ACGME, by the guidelines of the Palliative Medicine Review Committee (PMRC), which is closely modeled after ACGME Residency Review Committees.
- The ABR requires substantiation by the training program director that the fellow’s clinical competence as a hospice and palliative medicine consultant is satisfactory.