March 29, 2021
Contact: Rodney Campbell
The ABR has named 11 members to its first Initial Certification Advisory Committee for Interventional Radiology/Diagnostic Radiology. Members were nominated by the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR), SIR Resident, Fellow and Student Section; SIR Early Career Section; and the Association of Program Directors in Interventional Radiology (APDIR).
The committee’s mission is to:
- improve the content and design of communications between the ABR and trainees;
- identify, discuss, and work to resolve concerns regarding ABR actions or proposals, such as changes in exam content or operations;
- investigate methods for improving communication between the ABR and trainees;
- develop methods to assess the effectiveness of proposed modifications in communications;
- use these metrics to modify our approaches to communication.
The members, who will serve three-year terms, are:
- Christopher Bailey, DO; Virginia Commonwealth University; Richmond
- Brian Covello, MD; Aventura Hospital and Medical Center; Aventura, Florida
- Jacob Fleming, MD; University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center; Dallas
- Sean Golden, MD; Johns Hopkins Medicine; Baltimore
- Yilun Koethe, MD; Oregon Health and Science University; Portland
- Mary E. Meek, MD; University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Health; Little Rock
- Allene Salcedo Burdette, MD; Penn State Health Hershey Medical Center
- Brian J. Schiro, MD; Miami Cardiac and Vascular Institute
- Emily Sterbis, MD; University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus; Aurora, Colorado
- Sheryl Tulin-Silver, MD; Columbia University Irving Medical Center and Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital, New York
- Shamar Young, MD; University of Minnesota Health; Minneapolis
The committee plans to meet twice a year in person and by conference call as needed. ABR Associate Executive Director James Spies, MD, will serve as the chair.
Established in 1934, the ABR’s mission is to certify that our diplomates demonstrate the requisite knowledge, skill, and understanding of their disciplines to the benefit of patients. The ABR is one of 24 Member Boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties.