IR/DR Certifying Exam
Last verified on December 23, 2020
On this pageThis Interventional Radiology section contains information intended only for candidates in an IR residency program. Candidates who have completed a diagnostic radiology residency and are a past, current, or future vascular and interventional fellow, please refer to the Vascular and Interventional Radiology section for information about the requirements for this pathway. Candidates taking this exam who are already certified in diagnostic radiology are required to take only the oral component. Those who are not certified in diagnostic radiology are required to take both the oral and computer-based components.
Exam Breakdown and TimingThe IR/DR Certifying Exam consists of two components: one computer-based and one oral. The computer-based component has 178 questions and is approximately 4 hours long (including orientation, tutorial, and breaks). The oral exam component consists of four 30-minute sessions with a total exam time of approximately 3 hours (including orientation and breaks). The two components of the exam are held on separate days. Please see Exam Dates and Locations for the 2021 schedule. For more details, visit the Exam Breakdown and Timing page.
Oral ComponentEach candidate completes four 30-minute oral exams. Each exam includes elements of image interpretation, image-guided procedures, and the periprocedural management of patients.
- The exam format is one-on-one, using cases prepared and selected by the ABR.
- A unique examiner gives each 30-minute oral exam, so candidates interact with four different examiners.
- The exam sections occur sequentially, with a 10-minute break between each section.
- The examiner guides the candidate through the cases.
- The content of the oral component encompasses the totality of interventional radiology practice; it is not tailored to an individual’s practice setting.
Computer-based ComponentThe computer-based component includes two modules:
- Essentials of Diagnostic Radiology
- Interventional Radiology
Oral Exam – Feedback Request
- The deadline for requesting feedback is 60 days after the date your results are posted for your review.
- The intent of the feedback is to provide a candidate with a general indication regarding areas of weakness; it is not an opportunity to revise scoring.
- The fee for feedback is $250 for the oral portion of your exam only. To request exam feedback, complete the form located here.
- Results will be sent to you by email. Please allow four to six weeks for the ABR’s response.