IR/DR Certifying Exam
Last verified on June 22, 2018Vascular and Interventional Radiology section for information about the requirements for this pathway. Candidates taking this exam who are already certified in diagnostic radiology are required to take only the oral component. Those who are not certified in diagnostic radiology are required to take both the oral and computer-based components.
Oral ComponentEach candidate completes four 30-minute oral exams. Each exam includes elements of image interpretation, image-guided procedures, and the periprocedural management of patients.
- The exam format is one-on-one, using cases prepared and selected by the ABR.
- A unique examiner gives each 30-minute oral exam, so candidates interact with four different examiners.
- The exam sections occur sequentially, without interruption.
- The examiner guides the candidate through the cases.
- The content of the oral component encompasses the totality of interventional radiology practice; it is not tailored to an individual’s practice setting.
Computer-based ComponentIncludes two modules and takes approximately two-and-a-half hours to complete both:
- Essentials of Diagnostic Radiology
- Interventional Radiology
Oral Exam – Feedback Request
- The deadline for requesting feedback is 60 days after the date your results are posted for your review.
- The fee for feedback is $250 for the oral portion of your exam only. You must pay by credit card. Please note that due to security issues, the ABR cannot accept credit card forms by email.
- You must submit your request in writing by mail or fax:
- Mail: 5441 E. Williams Circle, Tucson, AZ 85711-7412
- Fax: (520) 790-3200
- Results will be sent to you by email. Please allow four to six weeks for the ABR’s response.