IR/DR Certifying Exam
Last verified on August 7, 2017Tucson Exam Center. This exam will replace the previous Vascular and Interventional Radiology (VIR) subspecialty oral exam. The exam will consist of an oral component and a computer-based component. Candidates taking this exam who are already certified in diagnostic radiology will only be required to take the oral component. Those who are not certified in diagnostic radiology will take the oral component in addition to the computer-based component.
Oral ComponentEach candidate will complete four 30-minute oral exams. Each exam will include elements of image interpretation, image-guided procedures, and the periprocedural management of patients.
- The exam format is one-on-one, using cases prepared and selected by the ABR.
- Each 30-minute exam will involve a unique examiner, so that candidates will interact with four different examiners.
- The exam sections occur sequentially, without interruption.
- The examiner will guide the candidate through the cases.
- The content of the oral component will encompass the totality of interventional radiology practice; it will not be tailored to an individual’s practice setting.
Computer-based ComponentIncludes two modules and will take approximately two and a half hours
- Essentials of Diagnostic Radiology
- Interventional Radiology
Oral Exam – Feedback Request
- The deadline for requesting feedback is 60 days after the date your results were posted for your review.
- The fee for feedback is $250 for the Oral portion of your exam only. You must pay by credit card. Please note that due to security issues, the ABR cannot accept credit card forms by email.
- You must submit your request in writing by mail or fax:
- Mail: 5441 E. Williams Circle, Tucson, AZ 85711-7412
- Fax: (520) 790-3200
- Results will be sent to you by email. Please allow four to six weeks for the ABR’s response.