Requirements and Registration
Last verified on October 30, 2020
RequirementsDiplomates must successfully complete one year of fellowship training (after residency) in a vascular and interventional program accredited by the ACGME or the RCPSC (Canada). They must also complete one year of practice or additional approved training, with at least one-third of that year spent in vascular and interventional radiology.
- Fellowship position must be ACGME-accredited.
- Fellowship training must be documented by a letter from the program director.
- Practice experience must be verified by a letter from the chief of service or department chair.
- Evidence of a current state medical license with an expiration date must be provided.
- Before a subspecialty registration is submitted, any outstanding ABR fees must be paid in full.
Board EligibilityDiplomates who successfully completed their training before 2019 have until December 31, 2024 to obtain IR/DR certification. Those who complete their training in 2019 or 2020 have six full calendar years from the completion of training to obtain IR/DR certification.
Leaves of AbsenceLeaves of absence and vacation may be granted to fellows at the discretion of the program director in accordance with local rules. Depending on the length of absence granted by the program, the required period of graduate medical education may be extended accordingly. Fellowship program directors and their institutional graduate medical education (GME) offices determine the need for extension of fellowship training. Therefore, it is not up to the ABR to determine graduation dates for individual fellows.
RegistrationThe standard registration window for the IR/DR Certifying Exam is November 1 through February 28. The application for the 2021 exam is available here.
- A copy of your fellowship certificate or an official letter (on letterhead) signed by your program director, documenting your fellowship training, including start and end dates.
- Official letter (on letterhead) from your department head, documenting your post-training practice experience, with dates, and the percentage of time devoted to the subspecialty. (A minimum 15 hours per week must be devoted to IR.)
- Completed ABR Fellowship Case Log with complication(s), signed by your program director. (Minimum 500 cases) Fellowship Case Log
- Completed ABR Practice Case Log with complication(s), signed by your department chair or head of your group. (Minimum 200 cases) Practice Case Log
- **Note** All case logs must include the classification of the complication and the number of each type of complication.