Part 4: Improvement in Medical Practice
Last verified on April 20, 2020
On this page
- Participation Reporting and Frequency
- Quality Improvement Definition
- Practice Quality Improvement Options
- Practice Quality Improvement FAQs
- Does the ABR need to approve my PQI Project or Participatory Activity before I can count it toward fulfillment of the Part 4 PQI requirement?
- What paperwork do I need to send to the ABR to document my participation in a PQI Project or Participatory Activity?
- Can I use the same PQI Project or Participatory Activity repeatedly to meet the PQI requirement?
Participation Reporting and Frequency
Quality Improvement Definition
Practice Quality Improvement Options
- Improving report turnaround time
- Improving patient access (next available appointment)
- Optimizing radiation dose/exam or frequency of repeat exams
- Improving timeout process for procedures
- Decreasing wrong patient/wrong procedure events
- Standardizing reports
- Reducing MRI safety events
- Improving critical results notification
- Improving handoffs of care
Approved projects are also available through the ABMS Multi-Specialty MOC Portfolio Approval Program. For a list of approved portfolio sponsors, please visit the ABMS Multi-Specialty MOC Portfolio Program website.A template for performing and recording PQI Projects is also available:PQI Project Recording TemplateOption 2: Participatory Quality Improvement ActivitiesParticipatory Quality Improvement Activities include those in which a diplomate is engaged by choice as a volunteer or by duty during his or her workday, and which may be reasonably expected to contribute directly to or increase the likelihood of advancement or improvement of quality and/or safety in healthcare at the local or national level.Documentation of individual active participation in any of the activities in the table on this page meets the criteria for MOC Part 4 requirements.No. The ABR does not need to approve PQI Projects and Participatory Activities at any time for them to count toward the ABR’s requirements.You do not need to submit anything to the ABR unless you are selected for an MOC Audit. If selected for an audit, the ABR will provide you with the necessary information to document your PQI Project or Participatory Activity.Yes. You may use the same PQI Project or Participatory Activity multiple times toward the fulfillment of the PQI requirement as long as you are still fulfilling the required elements as outlined on the ABR website.