International Medical Graduates Alternate Pathway
Last verified on May 30, 2019
RequirementsTo be considered a candidate for certification by the American Board of Radiology, an applicant must demonstrate the following: Satisfy the training requirements of a non-U.S., non-Canadian country
- Have documentation verifying the applicant’s ability to practice radiation oncology independently in the country of training or board certification (if applicable)
- Complete a clinical year of non-radiation oncology training in general medicine, surgery, transitional internship, or its equivalent.
- Complete at least three years of radiation oncology training in a residency program outside the U.S. or Canada.
- If trained in India, the applicant must have the following degrees to be eligible for the Alternate Pathway: M.B.B.S. + D.N.B. and/or M.D.
- Current, detailed curriculum vitae with specific dates of all training
Verification of the following:
- Medical school training
- One year of clinical non-radiation oncology training in general medicine, surgery, transitional internship, or its equivalent. One year of credit for clinical training may be received.
- Three years of radiation oncology training in a residency program outside the U.S. or Canada
- Radiation oncology certification (if applicable)
- Four consecutive years of radiation oncology residency training, fellowship, and/or full-time faculty appointment in one institution with a radiation oncology training program approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC). (See Sponsoring Department Agreement below). Four years of radiation oncology residency does not qualify for the ABR Alternate Pathway, as that is the standard training pathway.
- Note: The board accepts copies of diplomas or letters from training institutions as verification. If original documents are not in English, an English translation must accompany them.
- Payment of a one-time, nonrefundable application fee, due with the application form
- Copy of Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate or Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) certificate
Sponsoring Department Agreement, including the applicant’s four-year plan
- Credit for research training of up to 12 months will be granted toward diagnostic radiology certification if the research is completed at the same institution as the remaining clinical training
- In addition to the four-year plan, applicants must also submit a letter of commitment for four years of service signed by the host department chair. This letter of commitment may include a statement of condition for termination for cause, although availability of funds should not fall into this category.
- The applicant’s department chair must complete and submit annual verification forms.
- Any changes in the above requirements carried out without the written consent of the ABR will be considered as grounds for termination of the individual’s participation in the alternative pathway.
Copies of United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) Steps 1 and 2 score reports
All documentation should be mailed to:
American Board of Radiology
5441 East Williams Circle
Tucson, AZ 85711-7412
or faxed to:
Attn: IMG Alternate Pathway
- A passing score on USMLE Step 3 is required six months before admittance to the Certifying Exam.
- Current unrestricted medical license is required at the time of application and when certification is conferred.
- Eligibility to sit for the initial certification qualifying (computer-based) exams in physics, and cancer and radiation biology will begin after completion of 36 months of the approved 4-year program.
- Eligibility to sit for the clinical qualifying examination will begin following passing both of the basic science exams and 4 full years of the approved program.
- Eligibility to take the certifying (oral) exam will not begin until all three qualifying exams have been successfully passed. See policy.
Recognition of Successful CandidatesSuccessful candidates are awarded a continuous ABR specialty certificate in radiation oncology.
Board EligibilitySee Board Eligibility Policy for details.
FormsRadiation Oncology IMG Application Form Radiation Oncology IMG Sponsoring Department Agreement
Annual Program Fees
|Four-Year Plan Appointment||Fee|