Initial Certification for Diagnostic Radiology

Certificate FAQs

Last verified on June 27, 2023

When will I receive my certificate?

Certificates are mailed to addresses within the United States via the United States Postal Service (USPS). Foreign shipments are sent via UPS. Please allow approximately four months from the date of your “next steps” letter to receive your certificate. Please note that this mail date is based on the email notification of posted results. If you have not received your certificate within four months, please call the ABR office at 520-790-2900 or email There will be a $100 fee for certificate re-orders for any undelivered certificates after 120 days.  

Why does it take so long to get my certificate?

The ABR strives to process diplomate certificates in a timely manner; however, due to the large number of certificates printed after each exam; our procedure to ensure that each certificate is printed and mailed correctly; and the time required by our printer, the entire process takes four months.
The “next steps” letter indicates the deadline for updating personal information before the certificate order is placed with the printer. The ABR allows this time for all new diplomates to make necessary changes, which may affect the shipping and delivery of their certificates.  

Can I expedite receiving my certificate?

No. Certificates are printed on one order for tracking purposes.  

Can I change my name as it appears on my certificate?

Yes. If you have a simple name change (e.g., using a middle initial rather than a full middle name), we can make the change with no documentation. Any other changes will require legal documentation of your name change. Acceptable documentation includes court decrees, government-issued photo identification, and marriage certificates. Please email to request a name change.  

Can I change my degree as it appears on my certificate?

If you would like to change your degree within the guidelines below, please provide a copy of your diploma or official transcript via email to
The American Board of Radiology (ABR) diplomates who have been awarded a certificate from the ABR shall have their degree information printed on the certificate.
  • For physicians, the ABR will print the doctorate/professional level degree(s) that qualified the diplomate to enter the certification process.
  • For medical physicists, the ABR shall print only the highest degree that qualified the diplomate to enter the certification process and/or earned at the time the certificate is awarded.
  • An MD or DO degree will not be substituted for a variety of international degrees if the diplomate has not earned it.
  • If a diplomate requests that a degree other than that which qualified the diplomate to enter the certification process not be included on the certificate, that request will be accommodated.
  • Physicians also holding an earned PhD who request its inclusion on the certificate will be accommodated.
  • Requests to change an existing certificate to add degrees earned post-certification will not be accommodated.

Can I get a copy of my certificate?

The ABR does not keep copies of certificates. We suggest that upon receipt of your ABR certificate, you have a notary public make and notarize several copies for you to keep on file. Many institutions now require notarized copies for credentialing purposes.  

What do I do if my certificate arrives, and it’s damaged?

If you receive a damaged certificate, please call the ABR office at 520-790-2900 or email The ABR will replace the damaged certificate at no charge. We suggest that you have a notary public make and notarize one or two copies of the damaged certificate, which you can use for credentialing purposes until you receive the replacement.  

What if I move after the deadline to update personal information?

Please call the ABR office at 520-790-2900 or email with your new address as soon as possible. We will make every effort to provide the updated information to the printer prior to shipping. If certificates have already shipped, we suggest that you keep your forwarding order on file with the USPS. They will forward your certificate to your new address. Please note that after a forwarding order expires, the USPS returns certificates to the ABR. If your certificate is returned, we will attempt to contact you to re-ship the certificate to your current mailing address.  

What is the fee for a replacement or duplicate certificate, and how do I request it?

There is a $100 fee for duplicate and/or replacement certificates. Please click here to access the Certificate Request Form.

What is the ABR's mailing address?

Our address is:
The American Board of Radiology
5441 East Williams Circle
Tucson, AZ 85711-7412
For any questions not answered here, please call the ABR office at 520-790-2900 or email