Initial Certification for Medical Physics

NRC Compliance

Last verified on February 14, 2024

AMP- and RSO-Eligible Designations Discontinued

In March 2022, the ABR informed the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) of the Board’s intent to discontinue including Authorized Medical Physicist-Eligible (AMP-Eligible) and Radiation Safety Officer-Eligible (RSO-Eligible) designations on ABR certificates issued after December 31, 2023.
Please review the Frequently Asked Questions for additional information on this transition.
You can also view a recording of our March 30, 2022 informational webinar regarding the changes to the AU-E designation.  

Frequently Asked Questions

Why did the ABR decide to stop issuing AMP-Eligible and RSO-Eligible designations?
  • It was outside the defined focus of the ABR’s mission.
  • It diverted resources from fundamental objectives (e.g., refinement of remote exams, high reliability customer service).
  • A direct pathway exists with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and Agreement States. (An Agreement State has signed an agreement with the NRC authorizing the State to regulate certain uses of radioactive materials within the State).
  • An individual may be an AMP or RSO without being board certified. Conversely, an individual may be board certified without being an AMP or RSO.
When were these changes implemented?
The ABR discontinued including AMP- and RSO-Eligible designations on certificates issued after December 31, 2023. Candidates in all disciplines who received initial board certification before that date and met other criteria received AMP-Eligible or RSO-Eligible on their certificates.
What ABR certificates were impacted by this change?
All ABR specialty certificates were impacted. AU-E designations on ABR certificates are diagnostic radiology (AU-Eligible), interventional radiology/diagnostic radiology (AU-Eligible), radiation oncology (AU-Eligible), diagnostic medical physics (RSO-Eligible), nuclear medical physics (RSO-Eligible), and therapeutic medical physics (AMP-Eligible).
Where can I find information about becoming an NRC AMP or RSO?
Detailed information about the training, experience, and documentation required to become an NRC AMP or RSO is available on the NRC website.
If a candidate is board eligible but not board certified, can they become an NRC AMP or RSO?
Yes. ABR board certification is not a requirement to become an NRC AMP or RSO.
Does the ABR require residency programs to keep NRC-related training records for a certain period of time?
No. The ABR does not require residency programs to keep NRC-related training records. However, it would be in the best interest of the residents and programs to retain these records to help those interested in becoming an NRC AMP or RSO.