Requirements and Application
Last verified on May 6, 2020
RequirementsImportant Note – These requirements will change for the 2022 and later exams.
2020 and 2021 RequirementsTo be eligible for Part 1 on a new application, candidates must be enrolled in and in good standing with, or have graduated from, a CAMPEP-accredited program (graduate program, doctorate in medical physics [DMP] program, certificate program, or medical physics residency). The ABR will no longer audit candidates for the Part 1 and Part 2 (Qualifying) exams to ensure that they have completed the physics and medical physics academic training recommended by CAMPEP. We will leave these matters to the program directors and CAMPEP. We, of course, reserve the right to review a candidate’s qualifications at any time.
2022 and Later Part 1 Requirements
- be enrolled in and in good standing with a CAMPEP-accredited program (graduate or doctorate in medical physics (DMP). The program director must attest that the candidate has completed or will complete the core courses, as described by CAMPEP, prior to the date of the exam;
- graduated from a CAMPEP-accredited program (graduate or doctorate in medical physics (DMP);
- completed a CAMPEP-accredited certificate program and have completed a PhD program at the time of registration;
- be enrolled in or have completed a CAMPEP-accredited residency;
- be partaking in an ABR-approved Structured Mentorship program.
After an application is submitted:Within 30 days, candidates will be notified via email of the status of their application and if we have any questions. If a candidate’s application is approved:
- Approval notification will include instructions on how to pay the Part 1 application fee.
- Candidates will receive an exam invitation via email approximately two months before the exam. The invitation will include the opening date of Pearson VUE registration and additional instructions.
- He or she will be given one opportunity to appeal.
- He or she will be given 30 days from notification of denial to file an appeal.